The key factors to keep in mind in developing the LOS Agreement are:
- Keep it simple
- Make sure the goals are important
- Make sure the goals are measurable
- Make sure the goals are within the capabilities of your existing assets
- Set internal and external goals
- Engage utility staff in the process of setting internal goals
- Engage utility customers in setting external goals
It is much easier to operate or manage a utility when both the operations staff and the management staff understand the goals of the operation. These goals allow the operations staff to have a better understanding of what is required of them. The management will have a better understanding of how to allocate staff and other resources more efficiently and effectively.
Examples of a Level of Service Agreement and a form that can be used to develop an LOS Agreement can be found in Appendix B.